POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Research : Re: Research Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:19:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Research
From: scott
Date: 13 Oct 2008 08:24:30
Message: <48f33dfe$1@news.povray.org>
> Typically in the UK, the mains circuit, the socket *and* the plug all
> contain fuses.

Fuses do not act fast enough to stop you getting a lethal dose of current.
That's why RCD devices are used.

> That worked for about 20 minutes, and then the ends unhooked. Frustrated,
> my dad picked up the ends again... and then got up off the floor and
> UNPLUGED THE HEATER before repeating this action. ;-)

Luckily I guess the shock disconnected him from the supply before any
serious damage was done, if, for some reason, the shock made him grip the
ends tighter then he would have likely died.  I have seen several people who
"flick" the end of a wire to see if it is live or not.  I think it's the
amount of time as well as the current, plus how well you are connected to
other stuff etc.  PErsonally, I wouldn't want to risk it!